La galette des rois (aka the French king cake) is a puff pastry filled with frangipane. It's baked throughout January in France to celebrate Epiphany (January 6th). Enjoy this plant-based version!
* 5 Tbsp vegan butter, at room temperature (I use Earth Balance)
* 3/4 cup coconut sugar
* 1 3/4 cup almond meal
* 2 Tbsp cornstarch
* 3 Tbsp almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
* 1 Tbsp applesauce
* 1 tsp almond extract
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 fève (an almond or a large bean , traditionally it's a little figurine)
* 2 vegan puff pastries (I use Pepperidge Farm)
For the wash:
* 1 Tbsp maple syrup mixed with 2 Tbsp almond milk
Preheat oven at 350F.
Cream the sugar with the butter until soft and fluffy. Add all the other ingredients and mix. Set aside.
Roll one pastry and place in tart pan. Spread almond filling on top. Place second pastry on top and close the sides. Make a little hole in the center for steam to escape. Draw diamond shape pattern and brush with the maple syrup wash.
Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool a little bit before serving, but serve still warm.
The one who gets the fève is the king/queen of the day! and bakes the next galette! :)