Nothing beats a cold soup on hot summer day. Beside the famous Spanish gazpacho, try this amazingly refreshing Chilled Avocado Citrus Soup.
The recipe is from Nadsa De Monteiro, the executive chef of Elephant Walk, a French-Cambodian restaurant in the Boston area.
Ingredients (serves 4):
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 Tbsp salt, regular
* 1 quart orange juice, freshly squeezed
* 1 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
* 1 Tbsp sugar
* 2 tsp salt, regular
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 tsp garlic, chopped
* 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or Soybean oil
* 3 avocado, cut 1/2 inch cubes
* 2/3 cup button mushroom, sliced 1/4 inch thick
* 2 cups plum tomatoes, diced without pulp
* 1 Tbsp per serving cilantro, chopped
Cover the chopped onion with salt for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse the salt completely off the onion, drain and squeeze off excess water.
Mix salt, black pepper, orange juice, lime juice, garlic and sugar. Stir to mix well.
Add olive oil and mix well. Add the avocado, mushroom, tomatoes and onion. Stir gently now to mix well.
Let chill for 1 hour before serving.
When serving, add the chopped cilantro to soup and stir to mix.